Many organizations, in the financial industry where high-frequency trading occurs care about reducing the time it takes to execute single transactions. In these cases, the focus must be on reducing system latency (typically measured in nanoseconds, microseconds, or milliseconds) rather than increasing throughput. Network latency improvements are also partially tied to system latency improvements, so tuning for these environments is similar. To reduce system latency, the entire solution must be taken into consideration:
- The server, including processor and memory architecture and BIOS tuning
- The network stack—especially network driver tunings such as coalesce settings
- Operating system (OS) selection and tuning (e.g., kernel/registry settings and binding/pinning interrupts of high-I/O devices)
- Application tuning (e.g., affinitizing processes/threads to local memory in a Non-Uniform Memory Access, or NUMA, environment)
When we provide a low-latency server solution we use guidelines during configuration which include:
- Use the fastest motherboard and chip-set architecture
- Choose the fastest processor frequency and bridge
- Balance of memory speed versus memory capacity
- Choose appropriate memory configuration for the architecture. It is important to configure memory properly because the fastest memory speed will only work with specific memory banks are used on each motherboard.
- Use the fastest hard disk configuration for the trading application type. Depending on the trading application, different disk types, rpm and RAID configuration will be necessary.
- Choose the fastest network speed which will eliminate network speed conversion latency
- Update to the latest hardware bios and firmware to take advantage of enhancements
- Tune the system bios to eliminate all overhead that will slow down the overall system which will affect the trading software
Contact Us Now
+1 212 319 1717 
Or Contact a Local Expert:
Jubin Pejman - Managing Director - US Sales
For US Sales Email Jubin at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jubin has over 20 years of E-Commerce and application hosting and development experience. In his roles at LTCM, JP Morgan’s Lab Morgan, GFI Group and Check Free Investment Services he built trading applications for some of the world’s largest financial companies. Jubin has helped thousands of organizations with their complex hosting requirements over the past decade.
Peter Heales - Managing Director - EMEA
For EMEA Sales Email Peter at: email@example.com
Peter has over 30 years experience in the business. As former head of derivatives operations EMEA at Bear Stearns, European Chairman of the Futures Industry Association and other leadership roles at JP Morgan and ICAP Peter helped numerous clients achieve their goals and run successful operations.